Nottingham Community Housing Association
Salary: £17,152 – £19,374 per annum (£8.91 to £10.07 per hour) plus enhancements
Hours: 37 per week, full time
Closing Date: Tuesday 2 June 2020
Interview Date: Tuesday 9 June 2020
This post is exempt under Sch 9 Pt 1 of the Equality Act 2010 and is only open to female applicants
Nottingham Community Housing Association (NCHA) is one of the largest locally based housing organisations in the East Midlands. Across the region we manage over 9,000 homes; house more than 15,000 tenants; provide over 1,500 bed spaces for people with support/care needs, in over 250 properties; and provide more than 950,000 hours of care and support each year.
Derbyshire WISH are seeking confident, flexible and dedicated individuals to join our fantastic and supportive team as a Domestic Abuse Support Worker. Due to the service expanding, we have two permanent positions in the South Derbyshire area and a small number of 12 months’ fixed term contracts due to funding available in the South Derbyshire and Amber Valley areas.
Derbyshire WISH provides refuge and community based (outreach) support to adults and children who are experiencing domestic abuse. Our services include:
- Refuge (including both communal refuge and dispersed (Individual safe accommodation) which is offered to both women and men (dispersed only) with or without children who are fleeing domestic abuse.
- Community based outreach support working with women and men living in the local community who are living with the impact of domestic abuse.
- Specialist support for children who have experienced domestic abuse (both refuge and community based support are available).
Bring your personality and caring nature to NCHA. Using the skills and knowledge you have already gained from working in a support role within domestic abuse services, you will have an understanding of the impact this can have on individuals and families living with or fleeing domestic abuse. You will be empathetic and a great communicator who is able to demonstrate these skills both verbally and in writing to a wide range of people when supporting service users experiencing risk and crisis. You must be comfortable to lone work and have a commitment to maintaining the dignity and rights of the individuals and families we work with.
Working to NCHA’s CLEAR values, you will be expected to work equally well on your own initiative and as part of a team. Due to the nature of the role, it is essential that you have a full driving license with un-restricted access to a vehicle and business insurance as the successful candidates will be required to regularly travel throughout South Derbyshire, Derbyshire Dales, Erewash and Amber Valley areas.
You must be willing and able to work 37 hours per week on a rota basis to meet service needs. This will include working evenings (up to 8pm), occasional weekends (8am to 4pm) and bank holidays.
Not one day is the same at Derbyshire WISH! If you are looking for a varied and interesting role, be sure not to miss out on this rewarding opportunity.
Your duties will include but are not limited to:
- Providing practical and emotional support to women and men who are or have experienced domestic abuse
- Working with clients to assess needs and risks and plan a package of support and risk management individual to them
- Assessing referrals for both community and refuge based services
- Supporting the delivery of group work both in refuge and local community (eg: freedom programme and confidence building programmes)
- Travelling throughout service delivery area to deliver support and attendance at multi-agency meetings and work in partnership with other agencies where required to advocate for our clients and ensure risk is managed and support needs are met (eg: social care; police; CAB; housing departments; Job Centre and Benefits agencies)
- Working with colleagues to provide a clean and welcoming environment for all accessing our services
- Ensuring records (computer based case management system) are kept up to date and accurate – basic IT skills and knowledge of IT systems are advantageous!
Click here to see how NCHA is managing the risk of COVID-19. PPE will be provided where applicable.
Joining our Journey
Our locations are within travelling distance of Derby, Burton on Trent and Staffordshire (South Derbyshire posts) and Derby, Nottingham (Amber Valley posts); Come work for us and enjoy all these fantastic benefits:
- c36.5 days leave a year with additional 2 days after 5 years’ service
- Healthcare Cash Back Plan worth up to £1,200 per year on your routine healthcare costs e.g. Dentist, opticians etc.
- Company Pension Scheme options with contributions matched by NCHA and includes life assurance cover
- Enhanced maternity/paternity/adoption pay
- £250 for successful referral of a friend/family member to work at NCHA
- Employee Recognition Scheme
- Discounted gym membership, discounts and cashback at major retailers
- Free access to employee Advice Line; offering a 24-hour confidential advice service to discuss work or home related concerns with professional advisors
- Support to achieve Health & Social Care Diploma
- Free enhanced DBS check
- Overtime available
USEFUL TOP TIPS:
- You will need to attach a CV in order to apply for this role.
- Previous Applicants need not apply.
- All correspondence will be via your registered email address.
- View the full job description in the document tab at the top of the page and refer to the Person Specification section of the Job Description to complete your application – show us why you are suitable!
- Please state within your application which geographical area you would prefer to be based: DE11, DE75 or either.
- Please state within your application whether you would prefer a permanent or fixed term role (or either).
- For more information about NCHA, please refer to the attached ‘Helping Our Customers’ and ‘Property Picture’– get a better idea of what we do across the organisation
All successful candidates will be required to take a numerical and literacy test prior to starting their employment with NCHA.
As an Equal Opportunities and Disability Confident Employer, NCHA welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates including those from Black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) groups and disabled candidates. As part of our LGBT + Allies Programme, we also welcome applications from members of the LGBT + community and encourage inclusivity in the workplace.
Please note that although the position is based in Derbyshire, you will be required to attend a one-day Corporate Induction event at Head Office in Nottingham as part of the induction process once COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted.
Click here to return to NCHA’s current vacancies