This page of our website gives further information around the most frequently asked questions we receive, we welcome the opportunity to add further questions and feedback to this section. If there is anything you would like adding please let us know.
Do we have to be an ARC member to access the ARC Disclosure Service?
No – you do not need to be an ARC member to use our Disclosure Service and there are no registration fees to pay to access our service.
How do I request a Check?
Once you have registered your organisation with the ARC Disclosure Service, we will email details to your organisations nominated contact. These details will include how to process an application. As of 15th March, 2021, all applications should made online.
The PVG online application proforma – October 2021 should be completed fully (it is important to give the applicant’s email address), this should then be emailed, together with copies of all ID documents that the applicant has produced to support their application, to ARC at Disclosureservice@arcuk.org.uk
The process is then as follows:
- ARC will start the online process for the applicant
- Once we have completed the countersignatory parts of the online application, we will be given an application reference number
- ARC will reply to your email stating that the application has been started and that the applicant will have 7 days to complete from the date they receive the email from Disclosure Scotland
- The applicant will then receive an email from Disclosure Scotland and will have 7 days to complete the application
- If the application is not completed within 7 days, the application will be aborted and another application will need to be made. Please note that the ARC administration fee will be incurred for every application we begin online, even if the application is not completed in time by the applicant or if the application is aborted by Disclosure Scotland
- ARC will receive an email from Disclosure Scotland stating that the application has been completed by the applicant and Disclosure Scotland is now processing the application
- Once ARC has confirmation from Disclosure Scotland that the application has been completed the ID documents will be destroyed safely
- The certificate will be issued in the normal manner
To help with the process a copy of the Disclosure Scotland – PVG Online – Applicant Guide Feb 2021 can be downloaded and given to the applicant if required
Is there a minimum requirement on the number of checks per month?
No – there is no minimum level of checks. You can process as many or as few checks as you need. All checks are invoiced to the organisation at the end of each month. You only pay for the checks you request, no additional fees are payable.
I need to process an application for a transgender applicant, how do I do this?
Please refer the applicant to the Disclosure Scotland website where they will be able to access relevant guidance – https://www.mygov.scot/transgender-disclosure-application
How do I know when Checks are complete?
When Disclosure Scotland have finished processing checks, they will issue a certificate to the applicant’s home address. Dislcosure Scotland will send an email to ARC stating that the application is complete and this email will be forwarded to the organisation requesting the check. A copy of the certificate is sent to the ARC Disclosure Service, this copy will be forwarded to the organisation requesting the check. We do not retain any certificate copies at our office.
If an employee wishes to apply to have a Conviction Removed
How long do ARC retain data for?
Please see the Disclosure Scotland Data Retention Deletion Policy for further information.