The aim of this SCIE funded project was to produce a guidance to help support staff understand the implications of the Mental Capacity Act when supporting someone to manage their money.
The resource which was produced in 2011 includes:
- Assessing capacity to make financial decisions
- The roles of Appointees, Deputies and Attorneys
- Supporting people to create Lasting Power of Attorneys
- Good practice in supporting individuals who lack capacity to manage some aspect of their money
- Capacity to enter into a tenancy agreement.
Although the resource was not designed to be a guide for how to support people who are able to make all their own financial decisions with support, some of the principles described may still be useful.
This guidance is available as a FREE PDF download Guidance on Money Management PDF
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS WAS PRODUCED IN 2011 SO SOME INFORMATION MAY BE OUT OF DATE
The project was funded by Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE).