DBS Fees (England & Wales)
Once registered with the ARC Disclosure Service (registration is free of charge), your only costs are for the checks you request.
The DBS charge a fixed fee for all checks submitted:
- The fee of a ‘Standard’ check is – £26.00
- The fee of an ‘Enhanced’ check is – £44.00
- The fee for an ‘Adult First’ check is – £6.00
- The DBS do not charge for Volunteer checks if the job role meets certain criteria – see details below…
ARC Administration Costs (per check):
- ARC Members: All Disclosures – on-line applications – £10.00
- Registered Users: All Disclosures – on-line applications – £12.00
- DBS Adult First check – £4.00
- External ID validation check – £10.00
Example: DBS Enhanced check £44.00 plus ARC administration cost £12.00*, total charge is £56.00
Example: DBS volunteer check (see definition below) £0.00 plus ARC administration cost £12.00*, total charge is £12.00
* ARC administration costs are reduced for organisations that are members of the Association for Real Change.
All checks are invoiced to organisations at the end of each month.
The DBS definition of a volunteer is defined in the Police Act 1997 (criminal records) Regulations 2002 as:
“Any person engaged in an activity which involves spending time, unpaid (except for travel and other approved out-of-pocket expenses), doing something which aims to benefit some third party and not a close relative.”
To qualify for a free-of-charge criminal record check, the applicant must not benefit directly from the position the DBS application is being submitted for. The applicant must not:
- benefit directly from the position for which the DBS application is being submitted
- receive any payment (except for travel and other approved out-of-pocket expenses)
- be on a work placement
- be on a course that requires them to do this job role
- be in a trainee position that will lead to a full-time role/qualification
An example of an ineligible volunteer role is…
Medical/teaching/social work student on work placement, as part of training – this activity is a mandatory course requirement, is usually paid and is primarily undertaken to benefit the student.