We currently offer the following City & Guilds Level 5 Diploma qualification:
Level 5 Diploma in Leadership & Management for Residential Childcare – England
Managers are required by the regulations to have the ‘necessary relevant qualifications, skills and experience’ to carry out their regulated activity. The Level 5 Leadership qualifications meet the registration and regulations requirement of CQC.
The qualification enables learners to understand, demonstrate and develop the skills and knowledge needed in the leadership and management of practice in adult health and social care provision and /or in children and young people’s services.
The qualification consists of mandatory units, covering core knowledge and skills competencies plus a number of optional specialism units, which can be combined in flexible ways to reflect the real working context of each learner and their work setting.
Those wishing to undertake this qualification need to be working in the role of manager/registered manager or assistant/deputy managers, senior care support worker, team leader/supervisor, etc.
Age Group – 19 or older
65 credits / 650 TQT
The Level 5 is a competence-based qualification, for learners who are working as managers or assistant/deputy managers, senior care support workers, team leaders’ supervisors etc. in Adult Care or Children and Young people’s services. They are designed to be assessed in your place of work, as part of your normal work role.
Those wishing to undertake this qualification need to be working in the role of manager/registered manager or a similar senior role such as:
- aspiring residential childcare managers
- deputy and assistant managers
- senior care support worker
- team leaders/supervisor
Your will need to complete fifteen mandatory units, (57 credits), these are:
- Understand children and young people’s development in residential childcare
- Understand support for children and young people who are vulnerable and disadvantaged
- Lead and manage a team within a residential childcare setting
- Lead practice to support the safeguarding and protection of children and young people in residential childcare
- Lead practice for communication and information management in residential childcare settings
- Manage risk in residential childcare
- Lead and manage group living in residential childcare
- Lead a service that can support children or young people who have experienced harm or abuse
- Lead practice to achieve positive outcomes for children and young people in residential childcare
- Implement a Positive Relationship Policy in residential childcare
- Lead practice to support the well-being and resilience of children and young people in residential childcare
- Lead practice in safe use of digital, internet and mobile technologies with children and young people
- Undertake professional development in residential childcare settings
- Lead practice to promote the rights, diversity and equality of children and young people in residential childcare
- Lead networks and multi-agency work to benefit children and young people in residential childcare
Plus a minimum of 3 units to achieve a minimum of 8 credits from a range of optional units
Full qualification guidance: Level 5 Diploma in Residential Childcare (4340-51/91) Version 2.2 Aug 23
All learners vary on the timescale to complete their qualification.
When you register, you will be given a specified target date in which to achieve your qualification, you can complete your qualification sooner than the target date if you are able to submit work regularly and at a good pace. Specific target dates can be discussed and agreed with your Assessor.
Total Qualification Time (TQT) ranges from 460 - 580 hrs, depending on the qualification being undertaken, these are based on the average amount of time taken to achieve these qualifications, over an average completion period of 12 - 18 months.
Complete qualification (including Registration, Learner Pack, Assessment and Certification) prices start from:
• Level 5 Diploma in Residential Childcare - £3,566.
These prices are reduced significantly for learners and organisations with their own in-house assessor support.
Registration only prices start from:
• Level 5 Diploma in Residential Childcare – £849.
*ARC members benefit from reduced costs
To register for any of these qualifications, you need to complete the necessary registration forms. This will prompt support for you to consider all the aspects involved in undertaking the qualification and ensure the right one is selected for you. You will also need to seek permission from your organisation to collect evidence in the workplace.
To find out more about registering please click here ‘How to Register’.